Old mission station at Waikouaiti. 1887

Date Created

1887

Identifier

Hocken Pictorial Collections - 12,219
a4607

Description

Margin below image in ink in Dr Hocken’s hand: The old mission station at Waikouaiti. Built in 1840. Sketch made September 3rd 1887. The house had then long been empty & was thoroughly out of repair. It was E. by N. - true - almost directly facing Matinaka & was on the native reserve two minutes walk from the sea beach & from the spot where the moa bones were found by Mr Walter Mantell in 1849. The first occupant was the Rev James Watkin after whom Mount Watkin is called (1840-440 - the second, the Rev Charles Creed (1844-49), both Wesleyan Missionaries. Earliest built house in Otago. T.M. Hocken; label: Na Te Hakena Tenei Tiki; margin below image r. in ink: [plan & specifications of house & cemetery]; margin above image in ink: Bay of Waikouaiti drawn by Dr Shortland, 1843 [copy of map of Bay].

Extent

270 x 700 mm (irreg)

Medium

watercolour on paper

Provenance

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Source

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Files

a4607.jpg

Citation

Hocken, Elizabeth Mary, 1848-1933, “Old mission station at Waikouaiti. 1887,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed January 30, 2023, https://otago.ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/5333.