Government House, Auckland, N-W view. No III.

Alternative Title

Government House, Auckland, N-W view. No III [Copied by E.M. Hocken after John Johnson. n.d.]

Identifier

Hocken Pictorial Collections - 12,956
a44

Description

On mount in ink in Dr Hockenís hand: Government House, Auckland, NW view T.M. Hocken; margin above image in ink: No III; on mount in ink in Dr Hockenís hand: These four most interesting sketches are copied from Mrs Hobsonís Album. The originals were drawn for her by Dr Johnson, the medical officer attached to Governor Hobsonís staff. Mrs Hobson was a Bernandan lady. Her maiden was Eliott. Government House was brought out in framework from Manningsí establishment in Holborn & was erected on the present site of Government House about the end of 1840. It was accidentally burnt down in 1840 [illeg] This front view faces the North Shore. Mount Eden is behind. T.M.H.

Extent

182 x 288 mm

Medium

watercolour & opaque white on paper (pasted to card)

Provenance

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Source

Original is in Mrs Hobson’s album. Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Files

a44.jpg

Citation

Hocken, Elizabeth Mary, 1848-1933 and Johnson, John, Dr, d.1848, “Government House, Auckland, N-W view. No III.,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed May 30, 2024, https://otago.ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/5318.