City of Dunedin. 1864.

Date Created

1864

Identifier

Hocken Pictorial Collections - 14,417
a4311

Description

Lower right (l.r.) with brush: W. Handcock; label: City of Dunedin by W. Handcock, D.cr 1864; label in ink in Dr Hocken’s hand: W. Handcock was the first drawing master of the Boys’ High School. His watercolour is very accurate. By the old cemetry is the junction of York Place, Rattray St, Arthur St, & the Halfway Bush Road lost under the hill. At the corners are the Robin Hood & the Salutation Hotels. The Middle District School is at the top & left of Dowling St. A little below & on the right is the original Roman Catholic Church. Still lower on the right is the High School. To the left of the picture, on the flat is the just erected NZ Exhibition, now part of the Hospital. Knox Church is also seen. St Paul’s Church, with its two gables, marks Stewart St & the jetty below with Bell Hill to its right. T.M.H. T.M. Hocken; label: Na Te Hakena Tenei Tiki.

Extent

356 x 654 mm

Medium

watercolour on paper

Temporal Coverage

Provenance

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Source

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Files

a4311.jpg

Citation

Handcock, William, “City of Dunedin. 1864.,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed December 2, 2022, https://otago.ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/5313.