Post Office Building by Gregory O'Brien from The University of Otago. A Centennial History
Brasch LG741 D8 MV47
Dunedin: University of Otago Press
The ‘Post Office’ building near the Exchange was designed by architects Mason and Clayton (now Mason and Wales). However, when built it was regarded as too elaborate for a post office. It was transferred to the Provincial Government, who gave it to the University in April 1871. It was in this building, reproduced in this Gregory O’Brien watercolour, that the fledging University of Otago began. Class began on 10 July 1871, with 81 students enrolled. The ‘Post Office’ building was demolished in 1969.
W.P. Morrell, “Post Office Building by Gregory O'Brien from The University of Otago. A Centennial History,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed November 29, 2023, https://otago.ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/11352.