Tui or Parson Bird Prosthemadera Novae Zealandiae. From: 'A history of the birds of New Zealand' by Walter Lawry Buller
ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Simple Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

North East Valley, from View Street near Dunedin.

Files

Creator

Alternative Title

North East Valley, from View Street near Dunedin. Lithog by W. & A.K. Johnston, Edinr. From a photograph by Meluish. 1862 Dunedin about December 1861 (Taken from View St).

Date Created

1862

Identifier

Hocken Pictorial Collections - 12,218
a7215

Description

Lower left (l.l.) on stone: F. Johns; on mount in ink: North East Valley, from View Street 1862; on mount in Dr Hocken’s hand: Dunedin about December 1861 (Taken from View St); label in ink in Dr Hocken’s hand: In the foreground & running up to Stewart St is Moray Place West in which are now the Jewish Synagogue & the Carnegie Library. Down Stewart is S. Paul’s parsonage erected 1859 with its long fence terminating at the Octagon, here seeming of rough triangular shape. Princes St with a hald erected house runs into it. Knox Church, opened in 1860, is plainly visible at the corner of Frederick & Great King Streets. To the right in midground are six cottages in lower Hanover St newly erected by Mr John Hyde Harris whose large house - the Grange - at the corner of Albany & Leith streets is conspicuous beyond. T.M.H.

Item Dimensions

170 x 446 mm

Technique

tinted lithograph on paper

Time Period

Provenance

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Source

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Language

eng

Citation

unknown, “North East Valley, from View Street near Dunedin.,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed September 24, 2017, http://otago.ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/5559.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Share this page